Assignment #6 Blog Reflection

As the semester wraps up, our final assignment (number 6) is to complete a reflection of our course EDT 770 Spring 2020.  I will be looking back at the assignments and projects that we completed and looking at the pros and cons of each.  I have also been asked to pick my favorite and least favorite in each category.



EDT770 Spring 2020

We completed a total of 5 assignments as follows:

Assignment # 1: Computer Purchase Plan
Assignment # 2: Network Purchase Plan
Assignment # 3: Cloud Services & Platform Plan
Assignment # 4: Wireless and Mobile Device Plan
Assignment # 5: (canceled due to COVID 19)
Assignment # 6: Blog Reflection

We also did a total of 3 projects

Project #1: Network Solutions Project
Project #2: IoT Technology Project
Project #3: Safety and Security Handout Project

Assignment # 1: Computer Purchase Plan

The assignment was to build a computer for our business from scratch.   This means finding all the parts to build a complete desktop system.

Pros:  I enjoyed building a computer from parts as I have done this a few times for my family at home.  For myself, it is always interesting to see how I can get different parts of a computer to go together to get the maximum out of it for the least amount of money.  I do try to make sure the parts are from a quality brand.

Cons:  I did not like having to cut and paste so many images.  This felt more like busywork than a needed part of the project.  Many images are just boxes.

Final Thoughts: This is a great starting assignment as it allows the students to gain a basic knowledge of all the parts that make a computer work.

Assignment # 2: Network Purchase Plan

In this assignment, we were to design our office's internal network.  This included wired and wireless networks and finding an appropriate internet service provider for a small business.
  
Pros: I found that looking at an office as a whole makes you take into consideration all the needs of each user who will be on your computer network.  Making sure that the network is safe and stable is a top priority.

Cons:  I felt that today many combination devices add gateways, routers, and firewalls, and to spec out each piece individually really was not the best use of time.

Final Thoughts: This assignment felt like a bit of a stretch.  As I said in my con section I felt many of the items could be combined.

Assignment # 3: Cloud Services & Platform Plan

This assignment was about learning the three different types of cloud services and choosing one that would work for our company and explaining why.

Pros:  I enjoyed learning about the different types of cloud services you can get.  

Cons:  I really had a hard time making these types of services work with the type of company my business works in.  I felt like there really is not a good fit for video editing with the cloud yet.

Final Thoughts:  I really did not care for this assignment.  I felt like this was rushed in class and we really did not learn enough to do this assignment well. 

Assignment # 4: Wireless & Mobile Device Plan

The assignment was to research smartphones and other mobile devices for our company and pick a cellular provider for the business as well.

Pros:  I really enjoyed this one because I am always looking at which new devices can help make life easier for work and in my personal life.

Cons:  I did not really have any cons on this assignment.

Final Thoughts:  I felt that is was a good assignment for us to look at what people need to use in and outside of the office to make a business work with modern technology. 

Assignment # 6 Blog Reflection

 This assignment was to look back at the semester and assess what worked and what did not work in the class.

Pros:  I feel it is always good to take a step back and look at what you have done in a class.

Cons:  I feel that PowerPoint is not the best software to use since we are posting this to Google Blogger.

Final Thoughts:  The end of a semester is a great time to review what has happened throughout a class.  I feel that the COVID 19 situation really affected this class this semester.


Project #1: Network Solutions Project


This project was to create the presentation you would present to your company on the best type of internal network and network service provider for that business.  We were to compare the different types and present the pros and cons of each then select what worked best in that business situation.

Pros:  I like how we were to put together a completed plan based on what we had learned in the assignments.  It felt like something you would use in the real world to get a business up and running.

Cons:  I am not a fan of academia's demand to use APA styling.  I feel this a barbaric and old way of doing things.  I guess I have just worked in the real world long enough to know that, much like algebra, you don't really need it in real life.

Final Thoughts:   A solid project that gives the student the basics of what is needed to develop a plan for a business.

Project #2: IoT Technology Project

This project had us look at the way that the world is changing with our new smart devices.   We were to look at different types of protocols, typologies, and then control, add, and test some devices in a house floor plan with Cisco Packet Tracer.

Pros:  The Cisco Packet Tracer software.  This software was what I was hoping to learn when I signed up for EDT 770.  How IoT works and the process behind making it work.   

Cons:  Going back over the typology was very unnecessary and felt like it was just to pad the project out to give us more to do.

Final Thoughts: I enjoyed this project the most this semester.  Using the Cisco Packet Tracer software was interesting to the point that I wish we had really learned how to use it more. But I feel like having to switch the course from a seated class to online robbed us of learning the basics of this program.


Project #3: Safety & Security Handout Project

The final project was scaled down because of COVID 19 and we were to explain the basics of safety and security for either a Windows 10 system or an Apple operating system.  I choose Windows 10 because my experience with Apple products is iPhones and iPads.

Pros:  Exploring the details of how your virus protection and system health works.

Cons:  Very hard to do in PowerPoint.  This type of instruction is better suited to one on one or small group instruction. 

Final Thoughts: This project felt more like busywork than learning about safety and Security.  But employees need to know the basics about virus protection and the health of their PC's. 


Assignments:

Favorite: Assignment # 1  Computer Purchase Plan

Least Favorite: Assignment # 3 Cloud Services & Platform Plan

Projects:

Favorite: Project # 2 IoT Technology Project

Least Favorite: Project # 3 Safety and Security Handout

My final thoughts on the semester are that we were really robbed when the course was switched to online.  Since spring break everything about the class has been a mess.  Instructions and class layout just really fell apart. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment # 1 Computer Purchase Plan

Assignment 4 Wireless and Mobile Device Plan

Assignment 3: Cloud Services & Platform Plan for my Organization